Discovering my Research Topic

When this course began and we received the instructions for our research project I new right away I wanted to do something regarding Aboriginals. After hearing a couple lectures on embodied citizenship and authority and health ideals I knew that I wanted to focus my research project on colonization of Aboriginal bodies. This topic is something that I have never explored before or even considered. We learn so much about the colonization of Aboriginals as a culture in history, but researching on the colonization of Aboriginals bodies goes so much more in depth. After reading a few chapters from Mary-Ellen Kelm’s book Colonizing Bodies I knew that this was the topic I wanted to further investigate. Studying the colonization of bodies to me feels like researching outside of the box and brining in more of a philosophical aspect. My reasoning for choosing my demographic to be children in residential schools is because I feel that they were the most vulnerable to having their bodies colonized by authoritative figures. In previous research projects that I had pertaining to Aboriginals I had come across some well written stories from Aboriginal residential school survivors that I was hoping I could incorporate in my research.