Reflections

Looking back, I wish that I had spent more time finding more research. I feel that the secondary sources that I found were extremely helpful and did give me a well developed argument and provided the basis for my essay. However, I struggled to find primary sources, and I could not find primary sources written from Aboriginals perspectives. The struggle with doing this type of research is that any primary sources still existing were usually written by the colonizers, which excluded the Aboriginals perspectives. Stories from residential school survivors, although true, because they are recalling past memories, their stories could not be fully accurate. Overall, I have become aware of understanding what can and cannot be considered a primary source for this type of research. It is important to understand how historical narratives cannot always be considered true fact.

This research project has allowed me to gain another aspect into aboriginal history and connect me to my herritage a little bit more.