About

Hello, and welcome to my blog!

My name is Robyn Ferguson and I am a fifth year Bachelor of Arts student attending Thompson Rivers university. I am a Sociology major and a History minor. This is my final year as a Bachelor of Arts students as I am graduating this degree in June! (I am pretty excited!). My plans after this will be to continue my education here at Thompson Rivers University. I have recently been accepted into the Bachelors of Elementary Education program. (Something else that i am very excited about!). This degree will take me two years to complete, and in the Spring on 2019, I will be officially done all my schooling and looking at getting a real adult job as an elementary school teacher.

As an undergraduate student, with a major in Sociology and a minor in History, I have spent the past five years largely involved in only these two genres of studies. I was drawn to sociology as it allowed me to focus largely on women and the impact society has on shaping them and their bodies. As for History, I have always been fascinated with the past (this being largely supported by Little House on the Prairie. Dear Canada books, and Anne of Green Gables), and I knew that taking a history major I would be satisfied with continuing to learn about the past. Within my history major I have focused my projects mainly on First Nation studies. Although I know I enjoy studying history I have never really stepped back and considered why I am drawn to specifically studying Aboriginals continuously. Stepping back I am able to understand why on a personal level. Five years ago I received my First nations status, and although grateful, I never really understand why. I am very distant from any family who is first generation or second generation Aboriginal. I did not grow up practicing Aboriginal customs and traditions and my band is in Saskatchewan and I reside in British Columbia. Being a very small portion of First Nations and having all my great grandparents passed away I unfortunately do not know my families aboriginal history. Since I am unable to speak to my family to gain knowledge, by studying this discipline I feel that I can understand and learn about my culture/history.